Spring over hovedmenu

Tax regulations for posted workers

If you are posted to Denmark and your employers got a permanent establishment in Denmark you probably need to pay income tax and apply for a Danish tax card and personal tax number.

If you are posted to Denmark and your employers got a permanent establishment in Denmark, you have to apply for a personal tax number and a Danish tax card, no matter how long you intend to stay in Denmark. The same rule applies if you establish a business in Denmark.

If you plan to work and live in Denmark for more than 3 months, you need to apply for a CPR number (civil reg. no.) at the Danish National Register (Folkeregisteret). If you stay in Denmark for more than 6 months, you are considered to be fully tax liable to Denmark from the first day of your stay.

You can seek advice at one of the four International Citizen Service Centers in Denmark.

Webservices for foreigners

E-tax (in Danish 'TastSelv') is Skattestyrelsen's online self-service system.

In E-tax you can change your preliminary income assessment and tax assessment notice and file your tax returns.

You will also find the tax information that Skattestyrelsen holds about you, and which is used to calculate your tax.

This is information that Skattestyrelsen has received from your employer and bank.

Log in to E-tax (Requires NemID)

Tax in Denmark

This publication is an introduction to the Danish tax system intended for newcomers to Denmark and non-Danish speakers who are not yet familiar with the system. Published in 2018.

Download Tax in Denmark

Any questions

Contact Skattestyrelsen
The Danish Customs and Tax Administration

Telephone hours:

Monday 9 - 17
Tuesday to Thursday 9 - 16
Friday 9 - 14

+45 72 22 18 18
Choose English in the menu and be assisted by an English-speaking employee